Seasons For Hire
As a Commis at Shore Lodge, you will assist the assigned Chefs in all duties. You will need to be able to execute various food preparation requirements while following all safety and sanitation standards performing in one of our 8 outlets. You must be flexible and able to work in different stations in the kitchen and learn the skills required to improve your knowledge.
WHAT YOU GET TO DO:
• Ensure that prep lists are completed by the end of the shift with no unauthorized overtime
• Ensure that all opening/closing procedures are completed and set for the next shift
• Monitor all refrigeration and dry storage for proper handling and rotation
• Participate and maintain knowledge with ongoing education programs for sanitation and safety
• Check daily production sheets and verify with Chef de Cuisine or Sous Chef as to daily work needs
• Monitor food quality and rotate food in walk ins and freezers to minimize waste and spoilage
• Ability to help prepare orders according to the established standard
• Follow all sanitation guidelines and safety precautions
• Leave work stations in a clean and orderly fashion. All foods must be covered, labeled, and properly stored
• Be familiar with all kitchen equipment, their functions and maintenance requirements
• Gain and possess an understanding/knowledge and adherence to kitchen policies and procedures
• Know all safety and emergency procedures and participate in recycling procedures of trash disposal
• Wear gloves when handling food that is 'ready-to-eat'
• Make logical decisions relating to par levels, must be able to organize and prioritize daily par sheets.
• Learn to read and understand banquet BEO
• Make daily a thorough mis-en-place of all items featured on the menu
• Must be able to read standardized recipes and help prepare
• Communicate effectively with co-workers and managers; ensure efficient and effective communication with front of house staff
• Ability to multi-task while maintaining a high level of organization and remaining detail oriented
WHAT YOU NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL:
• High School Equivalency, some Vocational or Technical Schooling in the culinary arena preferred
• Ability to work and/or be exposed to high heat sources, steam, boiling liquids, sharp knives, electrical equipment and potentially wet floors. Extreme caution must be exercised when encountered with these conditions
• Must be able to carry an oval tray and deliver food to our guests with accuracy and grace.
• Lifting supplies or equipment of 30 pounds or more.
• Frequent periods of pushing, pulling, bending, stooping, upward reaching in a hot kitchen environment.
• Prolonged periods of standing and walking in hot kitchen environment.