Seasons For Hire
- Base out of a UCC Field Office Location – Logan, Cedar City, or Moab, UT
- Project sites located within a day’s drive of the field office base
FIELD SEASON SCHEDULE:
- Fall (3 month) - August 30 – November 21, 2021
UCC is an AmeriCorps program composed of AmeriCorps members, staff, and partners dedicated to service to our community, environment, and regions requiring disaster response efforts. We engage in projects throughout the state of Utah and the Intermountain West that address goals relating to resource conservation, stewardship, and sustainability.
UCC Field Crew Members spend 3 months working and living outdoors as part of a Utah Conservation Corps crew in service to public lands and the communities that surround them. Crew Members are responsible for being a contributing member of their crew, upholding and abiding by UCC policies & procedures, and conducting themselves in a safe and productive manner. Crews complete projects related to habitat restoration, invasive species removal, fence construction, trail construction or hazardous fuels reduction. All crew members are trained in safe and proper tool use, project techniques, and outdoor living. Training topics may include chainsaw and hand tool use, project techniques, and wilderness first aid.
Weekly project schedules are highly variable and subject to change. Crew members typically work 4 to 10 days in a row (in variable weather conditions) with time off ranging from 2 to 5 days between project hitches. Crews spend 8 to 12-hour days working on physically demanding projects in the outdoors. Members may be assigned to a single project type or multiple project types during each season. UCC crews complete both front and back country projects.
Utah Conservation Corps arranges for camping and travel during project time and supplies all tools and safety equipment and uniform shirts. Crew Members must provide their own work boots, work pants, and personal camping gear. Crew Members receive a living allowance for buying their own food for project time and off time, and arranging for housing and transportation during off time. This position is an AmeriCorps term of service that requires a full-time commitment (45-50+ hours per week).
UCC COVID-19 RESPONSE
UCC takes the current COVID-19 health emergency very seriously. UCC staff, in conjunction with Utah State University, have been introducing new risk management protocols, as well as reviewing our existing policies and procedures. We recognize that we hold an important role in reducing the spread of COVID-19, and we appreciate our staff, members, and partners for paying careful attention to the guidance, policies and procedures that UCC is implementing during this time. Please read more about UCC’s response to COVID-19 on our website: https://ucc.usu.edu/covid19.
- Service-oriented and love of the outdoors!
- Commitment to public lands and the environment of the Intermountain West
- Desire to contribute to America’s conservation legacy
- Ability to work as part of a crew, including demonstrated communication, conflict management and resolution skills
- Ability to work hard on physically demanding projects for long hours outdoors
- Ability and willingness to work and camp in remote settings in all sorts of weather conditions
- Ability to maintain personal physical and mental health throughout the position
- At least 18 years of age at the start of the season
- Must be a US Citizen, US National, or Lawful Permanent Resident Alien of the US.
- Agree to undergo a criminal history background check
- Eligible to enroll in an AmeriCorps term of service
- Understanding and accepting that the UCC is a career exploration program. Conservation project work in collaboration with others can be very physically and mentally challenging.
- Constructive, solutions-based attitude, flexibility, maturity, and dedication to proactive and professional conflict management and communication
- 3-month AmeriCorps Living Allowance, $610 paid twice per month
- AmeriCorps Education Award, $1,638.89 for 3-month term upon successful completion of term of service
- Wilderness First Aid Certification
- Project & tool specific training (may include trail building, chainsaw, hand tools, etc.)
- Experience, career exploration, and networking
- $610 paid twice per month
Applicants must apply on our website to be considered: https://ucc.usu.edu/apply/index